I had the pleasure of fishing with Jay today on another local lake for “Giant Smallies”. We headed out pretty early in anticipation of the foul weather in the forecast, for the afternoon. The morning was a chilly 45 degrees with light winds of 5 to 10 knots from the east. Overcast skies were upon us as we fished from as deep as 30 feet to as little as 5 feet. Water temps were pretty much all around 56 degrees until the rain began in the early afternoon. This actually dropped the water temps almost a degree by the end of the day. I had informed Jay that he would be into his first fish in 1 to 2 minutes max, but broke my own personal best time when he hooked up in under 30 seconds. As usual, the first one tends to catch people off guard and they usually get off before they come to net. Oh well, that’s fishing! He did manage to land a few fish in the next 15 minutes and lose several others as well. The deep water bite wasn’t great so we decided to try casting a little shallower in the 15 to 20 foot range. Almost immediately, there were fish being caught on tubes in the 2.5 to 3.5 pound range. I was looking for the real bruisers so I decided to relocate after a couple of hours hoping for a few big bites. Soon enough, we found them and 4 pounders became the norm as hooks were being set. It was just a matter of time before we were to contact what I was looking for and Jay was soon tight to one over 5 pounds on a tube jig. We continued to catch some of the larger bass on a mix of tubes and senko’s in 4 to 12 feet of water and decided to break for a short lunch. Up until now, the weather wasn’t too bad with clouds and light winds. Unfortunately, that was about to change as soon as we finished eating. From that moment on, the rain never let up! We continued to fish in a steady drizzle & heavier rain once in a while, but still managed to catch enormous smallies all afternoon long. It was miserable but at least the fish were somewhat cooperating! Many large smallies in the 4 to over 5 pound range were both landed as well as lost during the entire afternoon. By the end of the day, there were 10 fish in the livewells with none under 4 pounds. One side had 5 of them all going over 5 pounds for an amazing sac! This would have made an incredible bag for a tournament! I took several photos in a small window when the rain actually let up and all were released unharmed. Jay was the only one to suffer any injury as his hands were all beat up from trying to hold these monster smallies. At least he will have something to talk about until they heal up. All in all a good day, despite the weather. Over 25 huge smallies were landed today with many more coming off during a long distance release!!